How to Have a Love Affair with Yourself
by Catie Martin
Ok ok I know that this topic sounds cheesy or maybe even a little bizarre, but I’m going to talk about it anyways because it’s sooooooo important!!!!! I have been writing a lot about healthy relationships with friends, family, and boyfriends/girlfriends, but I think it’s time to focus in on the most important relationship- the one we have with ourselves!
Let’s start with 5 steps towards finding love within yourself. I’m not saying that this is easy, love is never without work, but maybe a little hard work is worth the reward…..
1. Say nice things – Criticism never changes a thing. It creates self-doubt and promotes a negative attitude. Instead, find ways to compliment yourself every day.
2. Be bigger, stronger, wiser, and kind – treat yourself to kindness every day. Stand up for what’s right and hold your tongue if what you are about to say could hurt someone you care about.
3. Challenge your thoughts- evaluate and observe your negative thoughts and work to gently change your thoughts to more loving ones.
4. Take care of your body- ever heard the phrase your body is a temple? How do you want to worship your body? Sleep restores. Eat foods that nourish you. Finally, find the parts of your body that you love and celebrate them!
5. I think I’ll leave this with the famous words of Harry Potter…
About Catie Martin
Catie Martin, LMSW is the Corner Health Center's in-house improv master and therapist extraordinaire. Little known fact: therapists with a sense of humor are better than therapists without a sense of humor.Counseling, Mental Health. Bookmark the permalink.